Hidalgo is a fantastic movie that I enjoyed from start to finish, not in the least because it was an opportunity to ogle Viggo Mortense. I picked it up in the PoundShop, which made it even better. Let’s take a look at this amazing movie!
What Is Hidalgo about?
Hidalgo is a beautiful American Mustang, ridden by Viggo Mortense, who uses him mainly for long distances races, which he wins again and again. Viggo is also employed by the American army and is present at a massacre of the Sioux, of which he is secretly a member (his mother was a Red Indian). Disgusted with himself, he joins Buffalo Bill’s circus, where he slowly sinks into alcoholism. The circus refers to Hidalgo as the best long distance race horse in the world, something to which a Syrian sheik, played by Omar Shariff, takes offense to. He is then invited to take part in the most difficult race of all times, a 3,000 mile race across the Arabian desert, an invitation that they take up.
What I Liked
- I loved the fact that this movie is base on a true story and that Frank Hopkins, portrayed by Viggo Mortense, spent his life fighting for the rights of the American Mustang.
- I loved the depiction of the Arabian cultures, the differences between Christians and Muslims and how all of these cultures are dominated by greed and care only about showmanship.
- I loved that it tackled many issues that were of importance during those days; things such as slavery, love, the oppression of Muslim women and so on.
What I Didn’t Like
- Sometimes, the ploys and counterploys were getting a bit complicated – who exactly is on who’s side here and who’s trying to cheat in the race?
- I’m a sucker for love stories and this movie is not one of them. Although there is clear chemistry between some of the characters, no great romance starts and you are left wondering whether the daughter of the sheik does get betrothed to the horrible prince whom she doesn’t love.
The Final Verdict
Hidalgo isn’t a new movie, but it is an amazing one. For me, it really is one not to miss, regardless of where your interests lie. It has action, romance, history and comedy and you are guaranteed to enjoy it.